DLLR's Division of Labor and Industry
Amusement Attraction Inspections - Safety Inspections
The Amusement Safety Inspection Program operates under Title 3 of the Business Regulation Article and provides inspections for amusement rides and attractions erected permanently or temporarily at carnivals, fairs and amusement parks throughout Maryland. This includes inspections for passenger ropeways, such as those that exist at ski resorts. Our mission is to prevent injuries, protect property, and save lives of individuals using amusement attractions in the State through an on-site competent and professional inspection.
An owner may not operate an amusement attraction, at a event which is open to the general public or held on public grounds, unless the amusement attraction has been registered, inspected, and a certificate of inspection issued by the Commissioner of Labor and Industry.
- Amusement Rides or attractions must be registered with the State, annually, in order to operate within the State.
- There is no fee for registering amusement attractions with the Division of Labor and Industry (DLLR). (Look for a yellow registration tag/sticker near the ride, with the current year decal to know the ride has been refistered and has a valid date to operate).
- An Amusement Attraction Inspection Request Form must be submitted to the State by the company providing the amusement ride.Inspections are performed by State Inspectors.
- There is no inspection fee.
- Certificates for non-inflatable rides and attractions at fairs and carnivals are valid for not more than 30 days.
- Each time an inflatable ride or attraction is set up for the first time in a year, it must be inspected by a State inspector and a new certificate issued before public operation; the certificate for an inflatable ride or attraction is valid for up to 1 year.
- Each time a non-inflatable ride or attraction is moved to a new location, it must be inspected by a State inspector and a new certificate issued before public operation.
- Upon a completed inspection, the State Inspector will issue a yellow inspection sticker and will give a copy of the inspection to the ride owner).
For additional information, contact:
Division of Labor and Industry
Amusement Attraction Inspections
1100 N. Eutaw Street - Room 601
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone (410) 767-2348
Fax: (410) 333-7683
Emergency telephone number: (410) 767-2990